Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:00:14 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Juniper e3k with ports limitied to 100Mbit and re NICs on MSI MoBo: problems with duplex negotiation (Hetzner host provider discard FreeBSD support due this bug)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:37:31PM +0300, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Brian.
> You wrote 11 ?????? 2011 ?., 22:29:13:
>
> >   basic mode:   100 Mbit, full duplex
> >   link partner: 100baseTx-HD
>   It looks VERY strange. How could id be?

This is normal if the link partner doesn't do autonegotiation.
The system has to assume a simple repeater hub and do half duplex.
If on the other hand the switch is hard set to full-duplex then they
can't expect autonegotiation to do it right.
However hard setting under FreeBSD as well should work.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de