Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:20:01 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum experiences.

At 9:28 AM -0500 1999/12/1, David Gilbert wrote:

> Actually, I don't think this is a vinum problem.  It appears that the
> SCSI layer locks hard when a drive is missing, but I could be wrong.

	It is entirely possible that the problems you saw are with the
cam SCSI driver locking up, but even if it didn't lock up, you'd also
need support within vinum, otherwise it would do you no good.

> Problem is that we have to program for this case... if it doesn't
> work, then there's literally no point in vinum supporting RAID-5.

	Vinum is very much a work-in-progress.  In fact, the RAID-5 part
was only very recently publicly available (you used to have to write
into another company, get a license approval from them, and then Greg
could send you pre-compiled binaries).  There's a lot of stuff within
the RAID-5 implementation that continues to need work, and the whole
failure/replacement process is a big part of that.

> The big problem is that the barrier-to-entry in this experiement is a
> few thousand $$, and people likely only get to work on it in the few
> weeks between equipment arriving and equipment going into production.

	Hardware-wise, you can get controllers that support RAID-5, work
under FreeBSD, and are not excessively expensive.

	However, their performance is likely to be less than desirable --
see <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/FreeBSD/vinum.html>; for my
personal experiences.

	At this stage, although vinum seems to work just fine for
striping and mirroring (although you have to mirror the stripes,
instead of being able to stripe the mirrors), it seems to have a
number of open problems in the RAID-5 arena.

	Although I would (and do) use vinum for striping or mirroring on
production servers, I would not yet choose to use vinum RAID-5 on a
production server.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.