Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:08:24 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        Rowdy <david@fielden.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error in burning v5.3 disc 2.iso

On Jan 6 at 13:08, Rowdy launched this into the bitstream:

> John W Ward II wrote:
>> I can burn the other downloads but disc2.iso freezes up the system and
>> won't
>> respond. I have a PIII 1ghz w/512 ram, XPPro and Nero v5 software. I have
>> never had a problem burning an iso before and even downloaded the file
>> three
>> times and twice from different ftp sites. Can you help?
>> Thanks,
>> John Ward
>
> disc2 contains a live filesystem, including the ports tree.  There are
> literally 10's of thousands of files - on my Athlon 64 3200+ it took well
> over 15 minutes for Nero to collate the directories before it started
> burning.

Sorry to jump in on this thread with an ever-so-slight divergence:

I too noticed that dic2 was labeled livefs (or something closely akin to
that). Does this mean that disc2 is a knoppix-style bootable live OS??

I burned it anyway, admittedly not fully understanding why I was doing
this. [slightly ashamed look] I guess I figured that what I didn't then
know, I'd learn later.

FTR anecdotally, my experience burning disc 2 was entirely different
from what was reported above. On a P3 850/512MB the dic took maybe 4-5
minutes to assemble, then the usual time to burn. Blissfully
unremarkable in that respect. :-)