Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:13:05 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HTML Password changer

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 06:09:22PM +0800, Dean Hollister wrote:
> I have the necessary code to encrypt the new password and so on, but what
> about decrypting the old one, and comparing to the entered one, using
> Perl?

You don't. You encrypt the password the user entered, and then compare
the encrypted new password with the encrypted stored password. If
they match then the two 'clear' passwords are identical.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?