Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:09:13 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Of SDSL, speed and bad ISPs

After almost 3 months, about 2 longer than expected, I finally got a
working SDSL line.
Getting it installed involved a lot of calling the ISP and just
constantly finding a person higher up in the food chain to call. This
line is at one of my clients and he basically ended up talking to some
pretty high up people and this was the only way we got the dam thing
installed.

It is scary that with all the pushing it took us almost 3 months. Don't
want to think how long it takes if one doesn't call daily. We did
waited a little over a month before we started calling daily.
Originally they promissed in 2 to 3 weeks.

It is a 200K line, however did a couple of simple downloads and was
only getting 4K to 6K downloading.
I had to leave shortly after having got the line up, but plan to do
further testing soon.

What kind of thoughtput should I see in a 200K line?

And for those in the NorthEast... Avoid using Verio as an ISP.. not
only it took them a long time to get things done, but they totally
ignored our calls and we had to call their main office (in the west
coast I believe) to get things done.... and in the end it turned out
that the installation was done by another company (northpoint) which
makes me think Verio may be just a reseller... At least in this area.