Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 14:09:18 -0600
From:      duke normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fdimaged the floppies--what next?

rick hamell wrote:

> > I've got the kern and mfsroot floppies built. What do I do next?
>
>         Put the kern.flp disk into the drive. Turn off the computer. Turn
> it on and follow the instructions. Check out
> www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html for precise instructions.
>
>                                                 Rick

Thanks for the reply! I suppose that I did sound like a bloody moron--I did
read the link and booted as you said. Looked at the hardware install routine
and saw that my NEC-4300a cdrom changer was not supported (I guess) cuz it
had CONF to the left of it. It is an IDE type. I had other CONF as well that
may or may not be relevant. I didn't at that particular go-round save& exit.
I thought that I should resolve these hardware conflicts first. What I should
have asked was--once this hardware stuff is settled, I suppose that I will be
asked what partition I want freeBSD installed on? Which leads me to my next
question--I have a Compaq Deskpro XE 466 (it's a 486-66Mhz w/20M RAM) and a
Quantum 1.xxxG HD. When I installed the HD,  Quantum's Disk Manager had to be
used to partition the HD, cuz I was told that my BIOS would only see 500Megs.
I have 1 DOS partition. If I proceed with freeBSD, I would want a second,
small DOS partition (which I wont compress) and of course a freeBSD
partition. Do I HAVE to do this with Quantum's Disk Manager first, or do(can)
I use FIPS to do it all?

thanks...duke