Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 21:57:09 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        TrouBle <trouble@hackfurby.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: removing GCC

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 11:46:17AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Oct 09), TrouBle said:
>
> > Okay guys heres one for ya.....
> >
> > 3.3-RELEASE comes stock with gcc 2.7.2.3
> >
> > yet in the ports tree there is gcc 2.9.5 ( egcs based ) and i know
> > 4.0-RELEASE is also EGCS based
> >
> > how do i replace the gcc 2.7.2.3 with the newer 2.9.5 and not have
> > it clobbered by a build world, and use it as my default compiler ??
>
> Install ports/devel/egcs, and stick /usr/local/bin in your path before
> /usr/bin.  Then anything running "gcc" will find gcc 2.9.5, and kernel
> builds and buildworlds will still use the 2.7.2 that they expect.

The egcs port does not install gcc as 'gcc' but 'gcc295'. So putting
/usr/local/bin in the path before /usr/bin will not help. Put
"CC=gcc295" in your /etc/make.conf file to make it the default compiler
for FreeBSD ports. For other things you compile that don't use the
FreeBSD make system, you could try 'make CC=gcc295'. In some cases you
may have to set it explicitly in the Makefile for the software you are
compiling.

Under no circumstances however should you blow away the stock gcc
2.7.2.3 compiler as you will need it.

--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net