Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:58:20 +0100
From:      Herbert <h.j.s@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Epox 8KTA2

Hello!

I have replaced a MSI K7T Pro2 mainboard with an Epox 8KTA72 today and
now I have problems running my FreeBSD-4.2 STABLE system.
The drives fall back from UDMA66 into PIO4 mode and the system is very
unstable. XWindow, netscape and other apps crash randomly and when I try
to compile the system or a kernel my kernel panics. :(
I testet this system under m$ win me I have no such problems?

Is this only a problem with the ata controller? Or do you think I should
also check some other parts of my computer? What if I buy a promise ata
100 controller? Will this solve my problems? There is a cheap one
available from promise (not the fastrak 100) ... is this one also
supported under FreeBSD 4.2 STABLE? Or only the Fastrak 100?

My cdrom drive seems to run fine in UDMA33 mode ... strange, isn't it?
Hope anybody on the list can help me! Thanks a lot!

Regards!
Herbert J. Skuhra