Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:17:40 -0800
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   named in a sand box. terminology clarification from -net

> I have a nomenclature ignorance when it comes to the term sandbox.
>
> When someone says, "named runs in a sandbox on my machine."
>
> Do they mean
>
> a) named runs under an unpriviliged user
> or
> b) named runs in a chrooted environment
> or
> c) both

At one point in time, "sandbox" meant a) as above.

However, with the advent of chroot and the security gains that it provides,
"sandbox" has been re-defined to mean b) in most cases.

Unfortunately, this means that some documentation causes confusion, such as
named-related sources you quoted.

--
Matthew Emmerton