Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 00:26:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>
Cc:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Subject:   Re: ls -G seems to depend on TERM=xterm-color

On 04-Jul-00 Sean Lutner wrote:
> Well, I'm not really using xterm, I use Eterms, and I've NEVER had this
> problem before, so it was non-obvious to me. I know the Eterms I'm using
> are capable of displaying color ls output, because it does so when logged
> into shells. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but if the xterms
> aren't capable of displaying color due to it's termcap, how come I can set
> the fg (text) to any color I choose, and they show up?

The terminal can display text, the termcap just doesn't inform the
programs how to do so.  Termcap is a means of letting programs not
have to know the control sequences needed for different terminals.
A termcap need not have support for all the abilities of a terminal.
Not all xterm's can display color, so the 'xterm' termcap doesn't
include color support.  As for your remote shells, check the term
variable they use, it may be using ansi or somesuch instead of xterm.