Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:52:50 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <phowes@fair-ware.com>
To:        "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-STABLE list" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IBM/Cyrix 6x86 133(PR166)

The Cyrix 686 chips are definately 486-class.  When I built a kernel for a
system with a Cyrix 6x86-P166+ CPU, it required i486 in the config file, not
586.  I made the same mistake as Bob, and had a similar problem.

Also, the last I knew, Cyrix chips could not build world reliably.  It seems
that GCC did something that caused two separate P166+ CPUs to crash with a
signal error at the same point in the build, every time.  And no, it wasn't
bad memory or anything else.  It was definately GCC.