Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 15:30:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@mail.id.net>
To:        paul@mu.org (Paul Saab)
Cc:        rls@mail.id.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archive Tape Autochanger

> Robert Shady wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten the CSC special Archive DAT auto-changer to work
> > with FreeBSD yet?  What did you have to do to get it to work?  I
> > am starting to wonder if mine is just defective.  I'm running 2.2.2
> > release, and when I load a tape, it spits it back out a few seconds
> > later, the drive displays "CHK MAG", and the FreeBSD box reports
> > ERROR: Vendor specific ASCQ.  Under different versions of FreeBSD
> > I have at least been able to load tapes, and run small backups, but
> > now it won't even load the tape.
>
> I got it to work.  I could not get it to change tapes using chio
> when I had it plugged into my Adaptec 154x but when I put it on my
> Adaptec 2940 it worked like a charm.

Have you gotten it to backup 8GB uncompressed yet?  I've got 120 meter
tapes in there, and the best I can get is 1GB.  What does your
"mt status" report for density?  What is a good density to use?  By
default, mine reads "0x24", but I've tried 0x00 as well to no avail,
I've going to try 0x13 now, but I think that'll limit me to the
standard 4GB/uncompressed per tape, but we'll see...

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net