Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:38:15 -0800
From:      Andrew Lentvorski <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Could we get the FreeBSD torrent servers back?

Can we please get the FreeBSD torrent tracker and/or server back?

I was sitting here staring at an FTP from ftp5.us.freebsd.org that was
bouncing around between 200-250KB/s.  Even switching over to
ftp1.us.freebsd.org is only getting me around 450KB/s-and that is
bouncing up and down (my upload is only showing 12.7KB/s, so it's not
choking for lack of return ACK's).

That's about 1/3 - 2/3 compared with even a lightly seeded Bittorrent
cluster pulling a Linux ISO torrent.  A Linux torrent will saturate my
download somewhere north of 600KB/s and park it there until the ISO
completes.

For reference, the old FreeBSD torrent file, even *without* the FreeBSD
tracker, operating solely from 10 old seeders, and the Azureus
distrubuted hash table, is delivering almost the same download as
ftp5.us.freebsd.org.  And that's effectively an abandoned torrent.

I have read some of the previous comments about using torrents, but the
fact that the mirrors are clearly *not* as fast as a torrent cluster
warrants some discussion.

Thanks,
-a