Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:35:30 +0300
From:      "Thodoris S." <grand@mindless.gr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + Quagga OSPFD issue

Michal Thank you very much, the second set of commands worked, route =
delete and then ifconfig on the interface, is anyone have any idea on =
fixing this?
why FreeBSD is preferring the OSPF route instead of connected one?

On Jul 23, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Michal Buchtik wrote:

> Hi
> we have this problem too, see bellow
>=20
> On 2010/07/22 14:55, Thodoris S. wrote:
>> Hello, i am experiencing a weird problem,
>>=20
>> i have set up a FreeBSD 8.0 Release, with Quagga 0.9.15 running  =
ospfd and bgpd for a small network
>> the router has multiple ethernet interfaces for backup in my case =
2.If i disconnect an ethernet either Physical or Logical (ifconfig em1 =
down)
>> when it comes up again after a while, Quagga doesnt use it as OSPF =
interface below i am giving you some console outputs to undestand better =
the issue
>>=20
>> #1 show ip ospf interfaces:
>> em1 is up
>>   ifindex 2, MTU 1500 bytes, BW 0 =
Kbit<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
>>   Internet Address 10.10.32.34/30, Broadcast 10.10.32.35, Area =
0.0.0.0
>>   MTU mismatch detection:enabled
>>   Router ID 10.10.32.39, Network Type BROADCAST, Cost: 10
>>   Transmit Delay is 1 sec, State Backup, Priority 1
>>   Designated Router (ID) 10.10.32.36, Interface Address 10.10.32.33
>>   Backup Designated Router (ID) 10.10.32.39, Interface Address =
10.10.32.34
>>   Multicast group memberships: OSPFAllRouters OSPFDesignatedRouters
>>   Timer intervals configured, Hello 10s, Dead 40s, Wait 40s, =
Retransmit 5
>>     Hello due in 0.901s
>>   Neighbor Count is 1, Adjacent neighbor count is 1
>>=20
>>=20
>> #2 ifconfig em1 down
>> #3 ifconfig em1 up
>> #4 show ip ospf interfaces:
>> em1 is up
>>   ifindex 3, MTU 1500 bytes, BW 0 =
Kbit<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
>>   OSPF not enabled on this interface
>>=20
>>  =20
> Check route table for prefix 10.10.32.32/30. I think, that it will be =
type UG1, because quagga installed it when the interface was down (ospfd =
deamon received it over another link).
>> Anyone has any idea on this issue? i have searched the internet and =
some people seem to have the same problem all with FreeBSD, Linux =
version dosnt have this problem, some of them speaking for a patch =
floating arround, but i didnt find any information on it
>> i have changed the version of quagga from 0.9.15 to 0.9.16 but not =
solved, i have compiled the quagga with TCP SOCKETS support but again =
the problem dosnt solve, the only workaround is to reboot the whole =
machine
>> even if i restart quagga it doesnt work.
>>  =20
> Workaround is to add route manually, like this:
>=20
> route delete 10.10.32.32/30; route add 10.10.32.32/30 -iface em0
> or
> route delete 10.10.32.32/30; ifconfig em0 10.10.32.34/30
>=20
> I think freebsd kernel could install "connected" route when interface =
goas up (and replace UG1 route) because connected could be preferred =
over dynamic route. So this seems like FreeBSD bug , instead of quagga =
ones.