Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:26:46 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail, fetchmail, DNS(?), lions, tigers,....

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 12:09:41AM -0500, Bruce Burden wrote:
> 	I am attempting to get fetchmail and sendmail working. Here is
>    what I want to do:
>
> 	1. Use fetchmail to POP my mail from my ISP to machine2.

No problem.

> 	2. Use sendmail to route any mail it doesn't recognise as
> 	   local to my ISP SMNP server, where it is mailed as
> 	   having been sent by brucegb@bga.com, NOT brucegb@machine2.my.domain!

First, ITYM SMTP not SMNP? Depending on what you mean, this could be
more trouble.

>    I want to be able to read and send mail on my machine2, store it
>    locally, and generally not log in just to read my mail. News is
>    a different problem...
>
> 	My configuration:
>
> 	domain: my.domain
> 	machine1 - 192.168.1.1  - natd, ipfw, pppd, routed
> 	machine2 - 192.168.1.2  - ipfw, routed -q, sendmail, fetchmail

Mmmm... not really sure why routed(8) needs to be running on either or
why you need ipfw(8) on the second.

> 	laptop   - 192.168.1.3  - N/A to the problem

So you included it why? :)

>    I use pppd on machine1 to dial my ISP, handle routing info, natd and
>    run the main firewall.
>
>    I want my mail to arrive on machine2, which is where I am running
>    sendmail and fetchmail.
>
> 	Fetchmail(.rc) is configured and working. It fetches mail from
>    my ISP. Where it goes then, however, is another story. I can't find
>    it...

It should be going to the mailbox of the user running fetchmail(1)
unless otherwise configured.

> 	Sendmail(.cf) _seems_ to be working, but since I am not really
>    sure what I am doing, that is a loaded statement. :-) Certainly I
>    can talk to it via the SNMP port,

SMTP

>                                      and have it deliver mail from
>    just about any fictious rascal I want. /etc/aliases file is mostly
>    stock, with the addition of:
>
> 		root:	brucegb@machine2.my.domain
>
> 	Questions:
>
> 	1. Do I need my own private DNS server running ala the
> 	   discussion in "The Complete FreeBSD", Chapter 25, for
> 	   my fiefdom, so there is a MX record for sendmail? As
> 	   I said, mail for brucegb@bga.com is not to be found on
> 	   brucegb@machine2.my.domain. Clearly a configuration
> 	   problem. Where? What?

Don't need this... depending on what you want.

> 	2. Do I need my own private DNS server to help sendmail
> 	   send mail back to my ISP SNMP server? I was under the
> 	   impression that was what masquerading in sendmail.cf
> 	   was for, now I am not sure...

No... depending on what you are trying to do.

> 	3. How the hell do I get what I want to do work!?!?!  :-)

OK, first, are you trying to get messages fetched by fetchmail(8) to
be relayed through sendmail(8) to your ISP's SMTP server? The messages
that fetchmail(8) grabs are always locally delivered to the user
running fetchmail. This is a Good Thing.

I have done the same thing on my little notebook here. (I don't bother
running sendmail(8) as a daemon and have fetchmail(1) go straight to
procmail(1).) To have sendmail(8) forward everything but local mail to
the SMTP server just define a "smart host." Here's my sendmail.mc
file,

  VERSIONID(`@(#)cjc-nb_earthlink.mc	2000/06/09')
  OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
  DOMAIN(cjclark_domain)dnl
  define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.earthlink.net')dnl
  MAILER(local)dnl
  MAILER(smtp)dnl

  # Directly from .mc file
  Tcjc

Kind of a let down? What the last line does is left as an exercise to
the reader. ;)

>    And tutorials, configurations, suggestions (EXCEPT! rtfm), tips,
>    etc. might be gladly accepted. :-)

You're welcome.

> 	Oh, heck, one more question: Anybody get pppd to demand dial
>    from behind natd? I can start Netscape on machine2, but I never got
>    pppd do demand dial on machine1...

I just use userland ppp(8), works great. Have not used the built-in
NAT, but may resort to it when my tower PC finds its way back to me. I
don't have a modem on it and may have some time before I have my real
connection, prolly DSL, setup on that machine.