Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:47:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Ross <Peter.Ross@alumni.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Yousef Ourabi <yourabi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0 Beta 4 missing mount_ext2?

Hi Yousef,

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Yousef Ourabi wrote:

> Hello:
> I did a fresh install from the 7.0 beta 4 amd64 cd 1 on my C2D system,
> and I find that mount_ext2 is missing -- Is this by design, or did
> something go wrong with my install?
>
> Back in the day mount -t ext2 would just fork on mount_ext2 -- is this
> still the same or have things changed?

According to the mount(8) man page:

     -t ufs | external_type
..
             The default behavior of mount is to pass the -t option directly
             to the nmount(2) system call in the fstype option.

             However, for the following file system types: cd9660, mfs,
             msdosfs, nfs, nfs4, ntfs, nwfs, nullfs, portalfs, smbfs, udf, and
             unionfs, mount will not call nmount(2) directly and will instead
             attempt to execute a program in /sbin/mount_XXX where XXX is
             replaced by the file system type name.  For example, nfs file
             systems are mounted by the program /sbin/mount_nfs.

ext2 seems to use nmount(2) directly so it does not need /sbin/mount_ext2
anymore.

My system (a ca. four weeks old -current) does not have a mount_ext2. I
cannot test ext2 mounting by now because I don't have an ext2 filesystem,
sorry. But it worked three months ago (then I've got rid of Linux on my
laptop).

Regards
Peter