Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:31:21 -0800
From:      "Rick Duvall" <rduvall@onlinehighways.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Verifying integrity of Backup Tapes

I have some backup tapes that I have been using each once per week for about
8 months.  I am getting errors when running amverify on a couple of them.
To be sure that my tapes are still good and not just the system giving me
fits, it would be nice if I could run a program that would write bits to the
tape in question and try to read them back, telling me which blocks on the
tape are bad.  Is there such a tool that does this?  I guess it would be
kind of like a scandisk is to a DOS Floppy as what I am talking about is to
a Unix Tape.

Sincerely,

Rick Duvall
Online Highways