Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:40:29 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "free" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Peter Kok" <cckok00@stlinux.ouhk.edu.hk>
Subject:   Re: slow

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:50:23 +0800 (CST), Peter Kok wrote:

Don't know exactly what your problem may be, but wanted to suggest a
couple of things.

>1) after reboot, it run slowing at
>setting idconfig path
>/usr/lib	/usr/lib/compat		/usr/X11R6/lib
>starting send mail dremom, inetd cron printer and mail

Those systems seem to be non-related so it could be something with your
HD.
did you check the "messages" file. I think it is in /var/log
Check for any "retry" errors or anything simmilar. When a HD is dying
you start having retries and simmilar errors.

Is your HD SCSI? If so see if your controller has a "verify" function
and run it. This will check your HD for errors and will not damage your
data. Be carefulll NOT to select the "format" option if one is present.

>2) ping own host name
>it slows to display my ip address!

Any other slowdowns? If you only have slowdowns after bootup with ping
and other network utilities then the problem may be with some change in
your network/routing/dns configuration. How did you ping yourself? By a
name, IP address, 'localhost'?

Try anything not network related which you do often and let us know it
performance. i.e. editing files, man pages you frequently read....

Try to think... have you done any changes recently to your
configuration? In particular about the time you started to experience
the slowdowns?

Any new programs you have installed and get's run at boot time? Did you
check your swap? swapinfo

Good luck.