Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:49:55 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 10:38:24PM -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> As for tools to maintain the repository, they already exist. (see rcs)
> All it will take is a little script to run over the distribution
> repository and purge as appropriate.

And just how much history do you keep?  How much trouble is it going to
be to get the whole history?  Keep a library of CDROMs on my shelf?

> Writing the script is MUCH easier than opening your eyes to the idea
> that there might be a better way.

Can you give examples of any other development effort under a VC/CM
system that prunes history and old revisions?

> If FreeBSD is ever going to amount to much more than a few "hackers"
> playing in their sandbox, there is going to have to be a less myopic
> view of the needs of others.

Since no one else is rallying behind you, it seems maybe this is your
myopic issue.  With out a lot of support for this, why should we go thru
such a painful reorganization?

> Right now, the prevailing attitude is "I've got mine, to hell with the
> rest" and "NIH rules"

Right now we are keeping our repository the way most people that use
VC/CM systems expect it to be.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)