Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:46:43 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Benjamin Franks <benjamin@dzhan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp SYN retries?

In the last episode (Jul 18), Benjamin Franks said:
> When I attempt to make a sock_stream connection to an IP, and DON'T
> receive an ACK or RST response, it seems that the system retries a finite
> number of times by sending additional SYN packets.  There also looks to be
> a 3 or 6 second delay between SYN retries.  After four or five, the
> connection fails.

The delays are stored in /sys/netinet/tcp_timer.c, tcp_syn_backoff[].
Those numbers are multiplied by 3 ( TCPTV_RTOBASE - the default
retransmit timeout) to get the 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 6, 12, 24 delays you are
seeing.

> Is there a way I can change the interval time for SYN retries, or
> decrease the number of times it retries?  I would imagine this would
> be dependent on the particular tcp/ip stack implementation of my OS.
> I'm using FreeBSD and would imaging some kernel sysctl variable would
> control this...  Any ideas?  Or perhaps it's a socket option?

You'll have to twiddle those numbers and rebuild the kernel.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com