Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:06:13 -0500
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
Cc:        Aguiar Magalhaes <magalhj@yahoo.com.br>
Subject:   Re: Java and tomcat

> Martin,
>
> this 'how to' isn't working... It isn't up to date,
> some downloads doesn't exist
>
> What can I do ?

The java page on the FreeBSD server is for an old version of Tomcat and Jav=
a.

To get Tomcat 5.5 running, try this instead.
Note that if you don't have porteasy(1), just install it:

sudo pkg_add -rv porteasy

# Change your Kernel configuration with this line:

options         COMPAT_LINUX

# Rebuilt, install, reboot, as always...
# Hint: Make sure you update your src tree with the latest sources from
# your favorite cvsup mirror :)

# Install the linux binary compatibility.

sudo porteasy -uv emulators/linux_base-rh-9
cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-rh-9
sudo make install clean

# Make sure the /compat/linux/proc file system is mounted at each reboot.
# Edit fstab(5) and add this line:

linproc         /compat/linux/proc              linprocfs  rw        =20
 0       0

# Check that it works by rebooting.

sudo init 6

# Install port java/tomcat5.5 and follow instructions as they appear
when you run make.

sudo porteasy -uv www/tomcat55
cd /usr/ports/www/tomcat55
sudo make

# Follow what will be printed. Basically, what you need to do is download
# java from sun's website and place the file inside your ports tree.
# It's super easy from there.

Good luck,

David

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/