Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:42:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        937863@primus.ca (Allan Jude)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning Question

> I have a box with FreeBSD 4.6-Stable on it
>
> It has 1 40 gb hard drive in it, that is divided into 2 partitions
> One for FreeBSD (Bootable)
> and one for Windows XP
>

> Now that I have fallen in love with FreeBSD, I no longer have a need for
> the windows XP Partition
>
> I would like to erase it, format it as FreeBSD, and mount it has
> /usr/home2
>
> How would I go about doing this, without disturbing my existing FreeBSD
> partition.

Well, you can probably use fdisk to tell it that it is a FreeBSD
slice and then use disklabel to create one large partition on the
slice - probably an 'a' partition and then newfs it, make a mount
point for it (/home2) and mount it (add it to /etc/fstab.

Careful you don't overwrite the wrong stuff - read the fdisk info
first and then only write the slice info (1,2,3,4) you want eg
change only the one slice to BSD type (165).

Make a backup of everything on your FreeBSD slice first just to
be safe.

Note the use of slice and partition.  In the FreeBSD world, what is
usually referred to in Microsloth land as a partition is called a
slice - even though the fdisk man page still has not been rewritten to
reflect this.  With only one disk that probably means that your 'C drive'
works out as slice 1 and probably your current FreeBSD slice is
slice 2.    Then, in FreeBSD world each slice can be divided in to
as many as 8 partitions  a-h, though normally the 'c' name is used as
only a comment to describe the whole disk and often 'b' is used for swap.

////jerry