Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 1997 12:28:13 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        Miguel Ricardo Real Santos <miki@student.dei.uc.pt>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting Old BSD

Hi, Reference:
> From: pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
>
> I *really* don't think your box is supported by 386BSD.

286 is Not supported by FreeBSD.

> Try Minix,there is a version that will work for you (don't remember
> where).
>
> On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Miguel Ricardo Real Santos wrote:
>
> >   I have an 80286 and i'd like to know where i can find an old version od
> > bsd that works on my pc. It only has 1 Mb ram memory but i think it's
> > possible to install that o.s in my computer.
> >   My e-mail is miki@student.dei.uc.pt
> >   Regards from Miguel.

Failing all else Miguel, go to your bookshop:
	Operating Systems design & implementation 	by
	Andrew S Tanenbaum
	ISBN 0-13-637331-3 025
	Prentic HallInternational Editions
	Paperback cost me 17 pound Sterling (UK) april 1987
I believe more modern ones come with media attached.
There's a src Copyright note on page 434.

You could also try web search engines, or who knows, maybe there's even a
minix.org domain.

I've had 2 friends give away old 386 boxes to me in the last month,
so I suggest you consign your old 286 to be an Eprom burner or something,
& put the word out to all your aquantainces, that the next time they
buy a new computer you'll remove their old `scrap iron' for free,
or buy them half a crate of beer in exchange :-)

I ran Minix years ago on my 8086 laptop, in its time it was really
nice, it had some limitations, but it had a real Unix feel,
& that on an 8086 with 2 flops & no hard disc,
I could still `make` in background & edit in foreground etc.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/