Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:01:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        root <benti@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new user

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, root wrote:
> I am currently running Linux on my system. I would like to try freebsd,
> so I downloaded the two start up floppies form the 3.2 image on the
> freebsd.org web site. The floppies work fine but the install config does
> not see my disk controller. It is an adaptec 2940 controller. There only
> seems to be a model 15xx type controller in the device list and it does
> not pick up the interrupt or buffer port. Another problem is the network
> card. I have an smd 10 baset card which is being found but is not being
> initialized when the system is coming up into the install menus.
> System is a PentiumII 350, 128mb of memory, 1 gb hard drive.
> PS I am not trying to load it on my Linux disk. I am using a spare disk
> with a dos partition.
> I have followed the directions in the install doc. and would like to
> know if I am doing something wrong or if I need a different set of
> starter disks.

	Well, I'm not possitive, but I think that the sound drivers are
not in the generic kernel which comes on those disks.  You'll have to
compile your own kernel and then use MAKEDEV to create the device nodes.
Check the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) for details.  Also,
check the compatible hardware listing.  Your sound system might not be
supported.

	I'm not sure what's going on with the Adaptec controller, though.
Check the handbook (in section 2.1) for the compatible SCSI cards.  I
think that the 2940 is on it, but I'm not possitive as I'm just learning
about using SCSI under FreeBSD as of this week.  :)

						Good luck,
						Jaime