Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:52:37 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jon Moldenhauer <jpm@almond.elite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10B PCI

>Up till now, I hadn't seen anyone say they had gotten the 10B
>card to work.  Well, I did get it to work.  Basically, the 10B
>uses the same chip as the 100B (the i82557) and so the fxp
>driver recognizes the card when FreeBSD boots.  Unfortunately,
>the fxp driver assumes the card is a 100B card which may not
>always be the case.  To remedy this, I hacked up the fxp
>driver so it is possible to use the link0 and link1 flags to
>ifconfig to tell the driver how to configure the card.  For
>users of the 100B card, nothing changes.  For users of the 10B
>card, you add 'link0 link1' to the ifconfig line for the card.
>
>The reason for two flags is this: link0 controls whether the
>card is set up in nibble-wide (100Mbit) or bit-wide (10Mbit)
>mode, and link1 controls whether the card is willing to do
>full-duplex or will refuse to do full-duplex.  Again, the
>default settings of ifconfig are to work the way the driver
>did before so you have to explicitly give the link0 flag to
>put the card into bit-wide mode and explicitly give the link1
>flag to tell the card to refuse full-duplex mode.
>
>Anyway, thats probably more than anyone wants to know and
>there must be a better way to tell the driver whether the
>card is a 10B or 100B but since I don't have a 100B card I
>couldn't figure out a reliable way (ethernet addresses
>might work, but I would need to see some 100B ethernet
>addresses to be sure).

   What you're saying above is all correct, and I agree that the flags isn't
the right way to accomplish the 'mediatype' card setting - the driver needs
to figure out what type of card you have. Unfortunately, I haven't found a
way to easily do this, either, which is why the Pro/10 wasn't supported (the
fact I don't _have_ a Pro/10 also has something to do with it :-)).
   Anyway, your investigation and patches are very useful in that they 1) will
get people going right away, and more importantly, 2) show that this is all
that is needed to get the driver working with the Pro/10. Probably the "right"
solution to the probing will be to actually look at the PHY type and base
the mediatype mode setting on the results of that. ...but I'll need to get
a Pro/10 before I can write the code for this.
   Thanks!

-DG

David Greenman