Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:01:00 +0100
From:      Jonathan Wall <JW1@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
To:        jkrueger@atipa.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD NIS client / Linux NIS server

Hi there,

Try adding:
passwd_format="des"
to the default section in login.conf.  Make sure the ":" and "\" characters
are set OK.  If necessary remake the login.conf database:
cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf

This assumes the libcrypt libraries are linked to libdescrypt which I think
should be the case if you have installed the crypto distribution.

As a check to see if this is working add a new user and look at
master.passwd. Quoting from the handbook section 8.4.1, "Passwords encrypted
with the MD5 hash are longer than those with encrypted with the DES hash and
also begin with the characters $1$. DES password strings do not have any
particular identifying characteristics, but they are shorter than MD5
passwords, and are coded in a 64-character alphabet which does not include
the $ character, so a relatively short string which does not begin with a
dollar sign is very likely a DES password."

Regards,

Jonathan.

> Hello,
>
> I'm running into some issues trying to put a 4.1.1-release box up on our
> network.  We do all authentication through NIS running on a Debian
> GNU/Linux 2.2 server.  I have set NIS up correctly from what I can tell,
> adding to rc.conf, master.passwd, and group.  ypbind will bind to the
> NIS domain, ypwhich will give me the correct master server response,
> ypwhich -x shows all the right maps (AFAICT).
>
> I can log into local users on the box, and can login as root and su - to
> NIS-mapped users, but from a vc login prompt, all I get is a simple
> "Login incorrect".
>
> The best idea I can come up with at this point is that I'm running into
> some kind of libcrypt compatibility issues, though I've tried, without
> avail, both DES and MD5 crypt schemes.
>
> Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be rather helpful and
> appreciated at this point,
>
> Thanks,
> --
> John Krueger
> Systems Administrator
> Atipa Corporation
> jkrueger@atipa.com

J.M.Wall, Engineer, CFD Simulation Group.

Mott MacDonald Limited
Registered in England No. 1243967
Registered office St Anne House
Wellesley Road, Croydon CR9 2UL