Date:      29 Dec 2001 12:32:39 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
Cc:        Mark Hughes <mh_lists@digitalspy.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates & fsck

devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org writes:

<snip>

> > ad0s1a: hard error reading fsbn 656735 of 328304-328415 (ad0s1 bn 656735;
> > cn 40 tn 224 sn 23) status=59 error=40
> >

> > CANNOT READ: BLK 328304
> >
> > CONTINUE? [yn] y
>
> This was on / without softupdates. The worst of your errors.
>
> [snip]
>

> > ** /dev/ad0s1h
>
> [snip]
>
> > UNREF FILE  I=3166465  OWNER=nobody MODE=100644
> >
> > SIZE=1295 MTIME=Dec  6 12:20 2001
> >
> > RECONNECT? [yn] y
>
> lots of unreferenced files. You'll see that on the softupdates mounted partitions,
> fsck is only reclaiming unused space by clearing up these unreferenced files.
>
> [snip]
> > ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> >
> > FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> >
> > SALVAGE? [yn] y
> >

> > SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
> >
> > SALVAGE? [yn] y
>
> And here you have it. The summary info was bad. It's cleaning up the free blocks
> incorrectly marked used.
>
> [snip]
>
> The rest of your file systems looked pretty much the same to me. Didn't look like they
> were a "mess." Just reclaiming unused blocks as is supposed to happen with
> softupdates. As others have noted, you can do this in the background in -CURRENT.
>
> --devin

Do I understand this correctly, that -- except for the file system
without softupdates -- fsck could have been skipped and the file
system mounted with no serious consequences? E.g. that a huge file
system could be immediately reused with only some blocks incorrectly
allocated and then fsck'ed at a later, more convenient time?

Assuming -STABLE and not -CURRENT.