Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:55:30 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ken Sallot <ken@astro.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "swap_pager" loop?

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 07:40:16AM -0500, Ken Sallot wrote:
> Greetings,
>=20
> Yesterday morning I came in to find a 6.2-RC1 server deadlocked in a loop=
=20
> with the following error messages on the console:
>=20
> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 5, size: 4096
> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 13, size: 4096
> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 5, size: 4096
> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 13, size: 4096
>=20
> The machine has 4gb of ram, a 4gb swap partition on /dev/amrd0s1b, and
> provides nfs/nis/samba/printing (cups) services.
>=20
> This issue appears to have been open since at least 6.1-RELEASE, and I was
> wondering if anyone had a work-around that we can use for the time being.

You could try increasing the timeout in the msleep() in
vm/swap_pager.c.  If your system is just so heavily loaded that the
I/O command really is taking more than 20 seconds to complete, you may
be getting false positives.  If you continue to get the warning with
an arbitrarily large timeout, then you really are losing I/O
transactions and need to look carefully at your hardware, swap
configuration and (someone) at the drivers.

Kris

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9--