Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:57:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   cdrecord on 2.2.6 and worm0?

Well - I've been tangentially following the little bit of cdrecord-related
info that seems to come around every now-and-then...

Anyway - I've actually got an HP 6020i that I'd like to try and write
with...

The consensus seems to be to use cdrecord - from the ports collection...

But - when I try it out - with:

	cdrecord -dev=4,0 -checkdrive

I get the following:

   Cdrecord release 1.6 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
   scsidev: '4,0'
   scsibus: 0 target: 4 lun: 0
   cdrecord: Cannot do inquiry for CD-Recorder.
   cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: fatal error
   CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
   cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

A quick strings of the executable - I see a reference to /dev/scgx, which
is a symbolic link:

    scgx@ -> /dev/rworm0.ctl

Now - here's the confusing part (to me, anyway) - I thought cdrecord
didn't go through the worm driver...   So, you wouldn't need a kernel
with a worm device in it... Am I wrong?

I've looked through the handbook; and "The Complete FreeBSD" - and
see not to much about writing CD-ROMs..   I'm betting someone's got
a "cookbook" and how to do it; if so, could you point me to it?

If there isn't a "cookbook" - there will be one soon :-)

	- Dave Rivers -