Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:22:02 +0100
From:      Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
To:        Joao Schim <joao@bowtie.nl>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting attention (was Re: Where is FreeBSD going?)

Hi there,

Joao Schim wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:29:57 +0100
> Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de> wrote:
>

>>Nevertheless, it's not the main point.
>>The main question was: How to give FreeBSD more PR?
>>
>>best regards,
>>Marian
>

> I've always considered the efforts made by Mr. Lucas, writing
> articles and such, quite impressive.. So maybe we just need a
> whole lot of writing .. HOWTO's,  handbook translations, plain articles.

right. www.onlamp.com is great, therefor the things Mr. lucas or Dru
Lavigne are writing are great too.
Nevertheless, this don't gives much more PR.
I believe the way to get people to know FreeBSD is more likely to get
FreeBSD articles in magazines like Linux Magazine in the US, or Germany etc.
Sometimes you can find articles there, but it's often to few.

Somebody else mentioned writing white papers for business level. This
may be a way to push easier FreeBSD at corporate level. Means, you are
the sysadmin, going with a nice white paper to your CTO, sort of.

> Also i hear a lot of people complaining that the VA-software sponsored
> sites like slashdot and such are extremely anti-BSD. Cant say im a
> regular visitor of those sites so i wonder if that is a full truth.

oh well, slash-dot always has their "BSD is dead" thread. always ...

> btw. does anybody know of a url where a decent comparison in techniques
> used in Linux / BSD's / Windows / ...  it so be viewed ? (non sponsored
> ofcourse)

check google. there are several comparisons.

best regards,
Marian