Date:      Sat, 03 Apr 2004 02:15:12 +0400
From:      Vlad Kozin <epbox@yandex.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem while building ports

I've run into the following problem with my ports collection. Whatever
port I'm trying to install the process stops returning this:

>cd /path/to/some/port
>make install
____________________
... skipped ...
make  all-recursive
Making all in lib
cd: can't cd to lib
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/libungif/work/libungif-4.1.0b1.
*** Error code 1
... skipped ...
____________________

In this example I was trying to install "fluxspace". I faced the same
problem with "mutt" and a couple of other ports. "libungif" is
specific for the above example, it changes from port to port. The
important and common thing about this problem is that the process claims:

creating lib/Makefile

but it cannot cd to the newly created directory

cd: can't cd to lib

Any ideas are very wellcome, cause right now I'm stuck having no
chance to install the programms I need :(
I've already posted this to several other mailing lists (including
ports@freebsd.org) but got no response so far.

Vlad Kozin

PS:

Here is another example. Trying to build "mutt" this time:
____________________
creating m4/Makefile
... skipped ...
===>  Building for mutt-1.4.2.1
cd . && /usr/local/libexec/autoconf213/autoheader
/usr/local/bin/gm4: configure.in: No such file or directory
make  all-recursive
Making all in m4
cd: can't cd to m4
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt/work/mutt-1.4.2.1.
*** Error code 1