Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:54:15 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java for FreeBSD

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 02:28:34PM +0100, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> What's the status for Java native version for FreeBSD, that was
> announced in stable a few weeks ago?

I've just installed the native j2ee_sdk that lives in
/usr/ports/java/jdk13, seemingly without problems.  I had to
have the linux-jdk13 port installed first, which wasn't
expressed as a package dependancy, but wasn't hard to fix,
either.

I'm a little disappointed that it didn't actually solve the
problem that I wanted solved: Java in a native web browser.  I
had hoped that the build process for either mozilla or galeon
would have noticed the working jvm and done something to make
use of it.  Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone managed to get mozilla's own jvm, "electric fire" to
do anything useful?

Can the j2ee sdk (jdk13) be used to run applets, even in
stand-alone mode?  I want to do GUIs, rather than server-side
database applications.

--
Andrew