Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:20:29 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        CHris Rich <freebsdnews@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to install from ftp

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:40:08 -0600, CHris Rich <freebsdnews@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When i try to install some extra things from ftp using
> /stand/sysinstall i keep getting unable to extract distribution try
> again? of course i try again and it still doesn't work. When I first
> tried to install from ftp it gave me an error that 5.3RC1 could not be
> found on server..so in the options I changed it to any but I still am
> unable to download it.

If you're trying to get stuff specific to that version, you probably
need to use one of the "snapshot" servers, as release candidates may not
be available on all servers.

> output of uname -a:
> FreeBSD arwen.localhost.com 5.3-RC1 FreeBSD 5.3-RC1 #0: Mon Nov 24
> 18:31:21 CST 2003
>
> So what am I doing wrong?

Not to insult your intelligence, but...you *are* doing this as root,
right?  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"