Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 05:40:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scot <sa_murr@CAM.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Realtek 8139 NIC and IRQ problem.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen.

Problem: On booting I get "rl0 couldn't map interupt", which man rl
tells me is a fatal initialization error.  device_probe_and_attach returns
6.

Background info: The problem is uniquely with FreeBSD 4.1-R on my Athlon
750 box, ASUS A7Pro motherboard.  The card works fine in the Win98 half of
my dualboot, and an identical card works fine with 4.1-R in my P120.

A search of the -questions archive shows a fair number of "couldn't map
ports/memory" problems, no "couldn't map interupt", and few concrete
answers... man rl won't tell me anything useful, and the NIC is
functional.

I have tried mucking about with IRQ in the CMOS setup, but I'm no IRQ
expert and all I've managed to do is stop the box from booting if I set
anything other than <Auto> IRQ selection.  It's entirely possible I'm
missing the blindingly obvious answer/solution.

I'm not sub'd to the list, so if you have any thoughts I'd appreciate a CC
to me, if that's not standard procedure.  And yes, I know it's a
fabulously cheap NIC, but for my limited needs it should be more than
adequate.

Thanks in advance.  :)

	-Scot