Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 22:38:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, netmonger@genesis.ispace.com, wes@softweyr.com, scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, licia@o-o.org, jcwells@u.washington.edu, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

> >> I don't think that's being creative.  We don't know how much Netscape
> >> code is in IE, but Microsoft has abused Java code in there in
> >> violation of the licensing restrictions.  In my book, that's piracy.
> >
> > By all means, let's artificially limit the number of applications
> > that appear to run on FreeBSD by imposing political agendas
> > unrelated to the agenda of FreeBSD advocacy, and unrelated to
> > as yet unresolve court decisions.
>
> 1.  This stuff doesn't run on FreeBSD.

Solaris Binaries now run on FreeBSD, if you install the execution
class loader and the Solaris shared libraries (to cover the gratuitous
incompatability of FreeBSD with the IABI).

I haven't personally tried to run IE, but there's little reason to
believe that it wouldn't work.

> 2.  I don't care too much about court decisions.  The evidence I've
>     seen leaves no doubt that Microsoft is in deliberate breach of
>     contract with Sun over the Java content.  In my book, that's
>     piracy.

Actually, that's "breach of contract" if you can prove it, and
"libel" if you can't.

It's not up to us to enforce Microsoft to comply with rules of
law or even of some fuzzy definition of sportsmanlike conduct.

> > Not.
>
> Not for the first time, you're missing the point.

You're the one missing the point.  I don't give a damn if Microsoft
is Evil with a capital 'E', or if Bill Gates is The One True
AntiChrist, with the 6's tatooed under his hairline to prove it.

It's irrelevent and orthogonal to better advocacy of FreeBSD.

Not that I think that Microsoft would put a FreeBSD daemon on
the artwork for IE for Solaris in any case...

But if they *did*, it'd be tantamount to diplomatic recognition of
FreeBSD by the equivalent of a country on the UN Security council.

And that's good for advocacy of FreeBSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.