Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:54:06 +0100
From:      Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Really no one knows ?!

> Now, leaving apart that my lest backup dated a month ago, and it's
> really stupid to lost all your data from a HDD without suffering any
> hardware or software crash, I would really apreciate some ideas, links
> whatever about what it is to do to avoid this to happend if the
> future.

Just an idea. This occurred to me once that the superblock and primary
alternate were corrupted. Hence i was in the same unfortunate situation
as you, fsck was not working. The situation was solved by running
newfs with the -N flag on the slice. This printed the location of
other copies of the superblock. Feeding that to fsck allowed to recover
the filesystem, without losing anything.

--

Michel TALON