Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:56:29 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Qiang Xu <qiang_xu@mail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I can not mount the second HD---- a strange problem

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 12:24:13AM -0500, Qiang Xu wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam:
>
>       I try to add another HD to my PC. I use Dell Optiplex GMT+ 5133, the two HDs are Western Digital Caviar 2850. I met some strange problem.
>        When I use one as master one as slave, I can see both of them by "dmesg". There are ad0 and ad1. But when I try to use /stand/sysinstall ---> configure ---> fdisk there always some block reading error, and only can see ad0.
>         In fact I have ever set up a FreeBSD on each HD, but the file system is full, I need more space so I need 2 HD.
>         Also if I use only each one of the 2 HDs, I can boot to FreeBSD normally. This means the 2 HDs are OK. So I don't know why?
>
>         Could some one give me some adive?

Let's see what happens if you skip /stand/sysinstall. I think there
are issues with /stand/sysinstall playing with disks if you don't boot
into it (or there used to be?).

Is this disk only going to have FreeBSD on it? If so nuke the MSDOS
partition table,

  # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rad1 count=32

Then label it,

  # disklabel -w -r ad0 auto

Now, add partitions,

  # disklabel -e -r ad0

Then put filesystem(s) on the partition(s).

If you want, for some reason, to keep a MSDOS partition table on the
drive, you can play with fdisk(1) to get the disk setup. That is even
more fun.

>        Oh, by the way I can work well on other PC by using one Western Digital Caviar 2850 HD & one Seagat HD. Does this mean two Western Digital Caviar 2850 cannot work well together?

Shouldn't make a difference. If you got good dmesg output on the
device, you are probably in good shape.