Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        hexavenger@anti-social.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root mount error

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 hexavenger@anti-social.com wrote:
> I installed free bsd fine, but when i went to run it, i got a message
> that said error: can not mount root.  I have 3 partitions on my disk,
> the first in windows, the second for file storage, and the third for
> freebsd.  i looked in the manual and it said to type a certain thing,
> and when i tried it, it still didn't work, what could i possibly do?

	OK, first thing is first....  What did the manual tell you to
type, at what point did it tell you to type it, etc.  Now for some info
for you to consider.  Maybe this will help make the manual that you're
using make a bit more sense.

	What FreeBSD calls a "slice" is what Windows calls a "partition".
Within that slice, FreeBSD makes what it calls "partitions". See the
possible confussion?  So, by way of example, root is a partition within a
slice.

	Also, when you said "the second for file storage", did
you mean file storage under Windows?  If so, it will most likely be a
FAT16 or FAT32 file system on that partition.  (I'm just being picky
here....  As long as you didn't try to use this in FreeBSD without making
special considerations, this isn't a big deal.)

						Jaime