Date:      Sun, 9 May 2004 15:02:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Jonathan Belson" <jon@witchspace.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Outstanding issues with ipsec under 5.2.1?

Hiya

I've just spent a few hours trying to set up a working ipsec tunnel
between a wireless laptop and my server.

As a first step, I set up a tunnel between two machines on the same
(wired) subnet, one running -STABLE and the other 4.8-RELEASE.  Apart
from haivng to fix a couple of typos, it work pretty much first time.

When I tried using the same config between the laptop and server (having
changed the appropriate IPs), the connection always timed out in phase 1
of the negotiation.

I can only thing of two differences between the set ups:

a. The wireless link has a wireless access point in between the two
machines, ie. laptop (192.168.1.10) <-> AP (192.168.1.5) <-> server
(192.168.1.100).  The default route is set to 0.0.0.0.  Without ipsec the
connection works fine.

b. The laptop is running 5.2.1-RELEASE.

I remember reading there were some outstanding issues with ipsec under
5.x, could they be responsible for this problem?

Cheers,

--
Jon