Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:55:22 -0700
From:      Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Really slow FTP performance on 3.1-RELEASE?

I've been having some very poor FTP transfer perfromance on my home
LAN.  (See below for systems info)

When I upload from rook (client) to mason (server), I get 2.1MBps.
That's not a problem, I consider it pretty decent performance given
the uploading machine runs Windows 98.  When I download from mason to
rook, however, I only get ~9.3KBps.

The test file was an ~18.3MB Win32 SFX install (a small program
with a large body of compressed data attached).  Disk space is
limited on mason, so I couldn't try a much larger file.

Downloads from internet FTP sites to rook or mason give me upwards of
75KBps.  I had a friend download the test file from mason over the
internet and he got ~28KBps.

Any ideas why local downloading from mason would be so slow?

Info:
mason:

CPU: AMD k5-100
Mainboard: MTI R533, 430VX chipset
OS: 3.1-RELEASE
NICs: Two Intel EtherExpress Pro's

uname -a:
FreeBSD mason.home.lan 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #0: Sat Jul 24 00:49:58 P
DT 1999     noc@mason.home.lan:/usr/src/sys/compile/MASON  i386

I haven't done anything to optimize things other than building a
custom kernel.

Network services daemons are telnet, sendmail, and ftp.  Telnet and
sendmail are seldom used.  The FTP server is the stock ftpd "Version
6.00", started from rc.local as "/usr/libexec/ftpd -lAD"

mason also serves as the gateway for my LAN, running natd and ipfw.

rook:

CPU: Pentium II 350Mhz (OCed to 361MHz)
Mainboard: Asus P2B-S M/B, 440BX chipset
OS: Windows 98 (4.10.1998 "First Edition")
NIC: 3c905B-TX

The two machines are connected directly by a ~10-foot crossover Cat5
cable in 100mbps mode, not sure about the duplex mode.  dmesg only
gives me hardware resources and MAC addresses.