Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:33:40 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Gram Wheeler <gwheeler@microsoft.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard drive poked?

Gram Wheeler schrieb:

> Hi all
>
> When I last tried to cvsup, I get the following types of error messages
> on
> the screen:
>
> /kernel: ad0s2f: hard error reading fsbn 15273680 of 1999072-1999327
> (ad0s2
> bn 15273680 cn 1010 tn 39 sn 23) status=59 error=40
>
> These keep repeating with different but similar values, and it sounds
> like
> the disk is having a hard time.
>
> Does this mean my disk is poked? Interestingly, 15273680 is out of the
> range 1999072-1999327. Is it possibly some other form of corruption that
>
> has caused a logical inconsistency in the file system that fsck doesn't
> detect?
>
> tx
> Gram
>
> PS I left this running for a while, and eventually had a read error of
> the cvsup file reported. I deleted the file, ran cvsup again, and this
> time the cvsup completed. But I am still concerned about whether I have
> just removed the symptom and not discovered the cause...

Hard errors are a typical symptom of a hard disk in its death throws.
For SCSI disks, the drive will be in a useable state for a while after
the first hard error. IDE drives just go south soon after.

I'd do 1) dump, 2) fsck, and 3) replace the disk. Note I do the dump
before the fsck in case fsck causes the drive to goes belly up before
you got the chance to fsck.

Note: I assume that drive did it's job for at least a few months before.
For new drives, or boxes with recent hardware changes, different rules
apply.

HTH
-Christoph Sold