Date:      Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:26:35 -0800
From:      "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   partion and fs advice...

I've just recieved a new laptop and need (yes actually need) to run both
winxp and freebsd. I've got software on both systems and need to be able to
access data on one of the other. I have a 100GB hard drive with XP installed
onthe first 20 GB and my question is this:

What file systems can I choose from to be able to create a partition I can
read/write from both FreeBSD and WinXP.

It's been too long since I've tried to have my cake and eat it too and I'm
not sure if there are drivers out there for reading extfs from win32 and
vice-versa. I need to have a common (hopefully *NOT* a DOS partition) place
for data (databases, scripts, etc.) and would like to have two partions for
the OSes so something like,

20GB - windows xp
20GB - freebsd
60GB - data/scripts/etc (would be the "D" drive for winxp and the /usr/home
for freebsd)

The laptop has 2gb ram (not sure if that's important) and a real niec lcd
screen and more ports than i've ever seen on a machine (sager 3880)

I'll need lots of space for compiling ports (GRASS, postgis, R, etc.) and
really, REALLY, *REALLY* don't want to use cygwin anymore.

Thanks,
Jeff.