Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 01:41:08 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic DNS

Dan Langille wrote:

> On 18 Sep 98, at 19:55, gummibear@we.mediaone.net wrote:
>
> > I also wanted to set up a subnet off this cable modem.  I was thinking
> > something in terms of this:
> >
> > mediaone cable -----> my freebsd box gateway/ftp server/web server ----
> > (IPFW) ----> Windows Machine for my GF ----> another FreeBSD box for me
> >
> > Can this be done?  I use wide-dhcp as my dhcp client.  But if I have a
> > dynamic IP and the dhcp client does all network work for me, how would I
> > know how to handle a routing table.  I've never networked before, so I'm
> > pretty much clueless on this.  Where can I get more info on the subject.
> > I have the FreeBSD book here, but it doesn't cover dynamic IP network
> > stuff all that much.

Generally, you let the client decide that.

> > >I've been looking at a few setups.  Most assign you a domain name which
> > >hangs off their domain (for examples, see http://detour.net/,
> > >http://www.ml.org/, etc).  A few (http://www.ddns.org/,

<snip>

ML.ORG:
1. Register.
2. Confirm.
3. Register under DYNDNS
4. Download compat linux stuff.
5. Download MLDDC (DYNDNS client page)
6. Enjoy.

That is as painless as it gets. MLDDC doesn't even have to be run as
root. If you are as crazy as me, here is the path to take:

Set the FreeBSD box's hostname to the .dyn.ml.org. Make sure it is the
one with the dynamic port :). Set its Ethernet port (or any of them that
will not change IPs and is active) to the .dyn name. In resolv.conf add:
domain "dyn.ml.org". MLDDC will update the ML.ORG DNS database with the
mymldata, which has your hostname specified. Somehow it knows which
interface is the internet one. The idea is that the .dyn machine has a
static IP on one network, while not necessarily on another.

--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>