Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:06:40 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul+fbsd@it.ca>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Ian,

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 04:00:40PM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:

> Woj, 20 out of 36 messages, over 55% of all these messages, are by you.
> You are equally as capable in this role as wannabe list wrecker, opining
> on every second message including all the silly wildly off-topic ones.

If you elect to filter this person's traffic, and are concerned that
you'll continue to be inundated with replies, I'd like to suggest a
small procmail script I wrote years ago.

	http://www.it.ca/~paul/s/procmail-filter-msgid

It caches the message-id of the troll's posts and filters the message
(redirect or bitbucket).  It then caches the message-id of any message
that includes a cached message-id in its headers (i.e. In-Reply-To,
Refererences) and filters that too.  The effect is to hide not just the
troll's mail, but all the conversations he starts.

I haven't actively used this thing since 2003, but procmail hasn't
changed much in that time either.  Hope it helps.

Sometimes killing the trolls is just too much effort.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  it.canada                                            http://www.it.ca/