Date:      Thu, 04 Jul 2002 07:51:43 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba disappears?

At 11:28 PM 7/3/02 +1000, you wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Roger Merritt wrote:
>
>> I've just discovered that in the last month or so one of my servers is
>> behaving strangely. The Samba daemon starts up normally, but then the
>> process disappears. When I run 'ps -aux | grep smb' the only process that
>
>Try 'ps auxww | grep smb' and you may see the processes.  Without the ww
>the process names outputed by ps may be truncated due to your terminal
>width.
>
>Steve
>
>> shows up is grep. I've tried running it from the command line with the
>> debug flag set, but the log doesn't show anything -- it shows the daemon
>> starting, loading parameters, and then nothing. The .pid file remains in
>> /var/run, but there's no process active.
>>
>> I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.5:
>> [root@kepler:~]# uname -a
>> FreeBSD kepler.implab.ac.th 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Wed Feb 27
>> 08:29:05 ICT 2002     root@kepler.implab.ac.th:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KEPLER
>> i386
>>
>> and [root@kepler:~]# /usr/local/sbin/smbd -V
>> Version 2.0.7
>>
>> I can't tell exactly when this behavior started, but it's only been a month
>> or six weeks. Natd is working fine, so all the Win98 boxes connected to
>> this server can connect to the Internet (the most important function), but
>> they can't see the server as a Windoze resource, so I can't install from
>> it. I obviously must have changed something, because it used to work fine,
>> but I can't remember what changed in that time period except for upgrading
>> Mozilla.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest what I might try to find out what is causing the process
>> to disappear? I'm reluctant to upgrade Samba.
>> --
>> Roger
>>
>> You're only young once,
>> but you can be immature forever!

Thanks, but that doesn't help. It's not a problem with ps. Look, if I do this:

[root@kepler:~]# ls /var/run/sm*
/var/run/smbd.pid
[root@kepler:~]# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/smbd.pid`
su: kill: (154) - No such pid

Is the process dying because it can't find some resource/library? I thought
a *lot* of people were still running Samba 2.0.7 on FreeBSD. Should I try
upgrading? The port is samba-2.2.4_1, but I'm always afraid of breaking
Samba when I upgrade -- well, it's broken already, isn't it? Any
advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
--
Roger