Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:20:14 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD behind a firewall

On Friday, August 18, 2000 2:51 PM Crist J . Clark <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 10:04:57PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
OR

>> > Sniff (tcpdump) the external interface of the FreeBSD machine,
>> > 10.0.0.20. Try to connect to it from the Internet. Watch the tcpdump
>> > output and see if the packets are coming in.
>>
>> It is quite probable that I miss some subtle point here, but unless I am
>> a complete fool, this address (10.0.0.20) belongs to the 10.0.0.0/8
>> block of IP's which most routers in Internet should recognize as a
>> 'private network' address block and refuse to route from/to.
>>
>> I think that using a real IP address to the outside interface of the
>> FreeBSD firewall is going to solve a lot of the problems at hand.
>
>Note the origian poster's remark, "...my FBSD machine sits behind a
>hardware firewall..." It is implicit in his remarks that that firewall
>machine is doing NAT before traffic from his FreeBSD machine hits the
>Internet.
>
>But you are correct in some sense. If he can get a registered address
>routed to his FreeBSD box, it would be reachable from the
>outside. However, if he can get the "hardware firewall" to do
>redirects, he could do it that way without changing the 10-net
>address.
>--
>Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com

So this thread won't be wasted on me, I need to know what a "hardware
firewall" is, please. I can take a wild-ass  guess ;^), but I've *never won
any loteries either.  As well, the term "dual-homed" was used early in
the thread -- would you briefly explain that term as well, please. Tia....

-duke