Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:23:55 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Danny Winn <danny.gabriel.winn@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg.conf: Howto ignore onboard card?

--da4uJneut+ArUgXk

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 11:01:17AM +0100, Danny Winn wrote:
> Hello List,
>=20
> I installed FreeBSD 9.2 a week ago and use my GeForce GT 610 card via
> HDMI-output and driver nvidia, which supports the card. It seems like
> somehow Xorg is trying to access the onboard card, even though it is not
> mentioned in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> startx does not start X. Same issue with the newest driver from Nvidia's
> hompage.

While Xorg _detects_ the intel chip on the motherboard, it tries to use the
Nvidia card.

What is missing from your logfile is your monitor telling the graphics card
what it is capable of via EDID. Maybe your monitor is too old to support ED=
ID.
My suspicion is that this is the cause of the fatal error "no screens found=
".

In that case, you'll have to specify in your xorg.conf what your monitor is
capable of. You should at least add a =E2=80=9CModes=E2=80=9D line to the =
=E2=80=9CDisplay=E2=80=9D subsection
of the =E2=80=9CScreen section=E2=80=9D. Look at the =E2=80=9CDISPLAY SUBSE=
CTION=E2=80=9D section in
xorg.conf(5).

Here's an example for the screen section using a HD monitor:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Card0"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
            Depth   24
            Modes   "1920x1080"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Consult the documentation of your monitor to see which modes it supports.

You may also have to add =E2=80=9CModeLine=E2=80=9D entries to the =E2=80=
=9CMonitor=E2=80=9D section of your
Xorg.conf.

Roland
--=20