Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 2003 06:02:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      chris@coolarrow.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Device(s) within jail?

4.9-RELEASE

Hello, I now have a server running named, and it's assigned a public IP
address. Within this server is a jail that is running sshd, and the jail
has it's own unique public IP. The ethernet adapter has an alias to
accommodate the jail. (And it also works if I put the alias on the
loopback - not sure if there is any difference.)

If I ssh into the jail and run /stand/sysinstall, then use the menu
selections to try to obtain a port or package via FTP, I get to the part
where I select an FTP site the receive the following error message: "no
network devices available" and I can't go any farther.

Any suggestions? I did manage to find one previous post somewhere about
this, from over a year and a half ago, and I didn't fully understand what
was being said about low level calls. The reply did tend to indicate you
can't FTP from inside a jail, but I am hoping the technology has changed
and now it's possible.... well, I can hope, right?

Thanks,
Chris