Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 14:59:53 -0500
From:      NOC-IPAD <sysadmin@greeves.mfn.org>
To:        "Numard (Norberto Meijome)" <numard@smartmedia.com.ar>, "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Virtual Hostings How-TO?

Sounds like a job for CMS ;-)

It's unclear what you actually mean, but I'll take a stab at it:
I will assume you mean getting a host to answer to different
names, so as to make it *appear* to be more than one
machine (for instance, having a machine which answers to
the names "ftp" and "www" and "joemachine".  You would
need to make changes to your nameserver database: if you
are not running your own nameserver, but *are* running your
own domain, then your upstream provider can make them
for you.

If you are going to do it yourself, there is more than one way
to do it, but I would opt for the simple addition of "A" records,
so as not to generate extra lookups with "CNAME" references.

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org