Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 21:08:05 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Magnus Bein" <ambein@mac.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Configuring FreeBSD v.2.2.7 with a PCI modem

From: "Magnus Bein" <ambein@mac.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 2:18 PM
Subject: Configuring FreeBSD v.2.2.7 with a PCI modem

> Hi there,
>
> I just wanted to know if I am going in the right direction.
>
> I am trying to get a PCI modem by 3Com working. I have installed FreeBSD
version 2.2.7 on an old pentium. I know it isn't recognized by the system
because it isn't identified during boot-up and I cannot send command to it
through userPPP.

> I haven't found the device's I/O address and IRQ (I have some clues) yet.
>
> Assuming I find these do I rebuild the kernal with a line for this device
and/or do I make a device node for it? How do I feed the hardware info (I/o
address and IRQ) into the operating system so PPP can interact with the
modem?

> I am a little confused with what device node I should use. Is it sio,
cuaa, or pci?

> Thank you,
>
> Magnus

I'm unclear whether I'm totally correct, but "FBSD doesn't
support internal modems" is something I see quite often on
these lists.  And sometimes stated by those I would consider
"in the know."  There is a supported hardware list somewhere
at www.freebsd.org, so I might start looking there.  G'luck.

Kevin Kinsey, Missouri